When it comes to cookies, the classic chocolate chip tends to get a lot of attention. I get it, I like chocolate as much as the next person. But when the holidays roll around, sugar cookies quickly rise to the top of my list. Sugar cookies are buttery and sweet, and their dreamy color makes them perfect for the holidays. These healthier vegan sugar cookies are super easy to make and require just seven ingredients.
Typically sugar cookies are synonymous with heaps of white sugar and plenty of butter. What I love about this recipe is that it’s completely vegan and gluten-free. Yes, you heard me right! There’s no butter or wheat flour in these vegan sugar cookies. Coconut oil provides a decadent “buttery” feel without the dairy. And, rather than bleached white flour, this recipe calls for gluten free almond flour. This recipe also uses maple syrup for natural, unrefined sweetness, instead of sugar.
Despite the healthier ingredient mix-ups, this recipe still follows the traditional sugar cookie process. Sugar cookie dough is quite soft after mixing, so it’ll need to be refrigerated so it can firm up before being sliced into rounds. For perfectly circular cookies, ensure you’re slicing with a sharp knife. A tip I learned a long time ago is to cut the dough using unflavored dental floss for the cleanest slices. Sounds weird, but I swear it works!
These vegan sugar cookies can be dressed up or down to suite your preferences. For the simplest route, slice them into rounds and leave them plain. They’re delicious as is. Want to get fancy and dress them up? Add simple toppings like drizzled dark chocolate or a sprinkle of chopped nuts.
Vegan Sugar Cookies
Total Time: 1 hr. 25 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 10 min.
Yield: 12 cookies, 1 cookie per serving
Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup almond flour, sift after measuring
1 dash sea salt (or Himalayan Salt)
1 dash baking soda
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp. extra virgin organic coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 tsp. unsweetened almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 325° F.
2. Lightly coat large baking sheet with spray. Set aside.
3. Combine almond flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Combine maple syrup, oil, and extract in a small bowl; mix well.
5. Add maple syrup mixture to almond flour mixture. Add milk slowly; mixing to break up clumps of dough. Form dough into a ball with clean hands. Place on parchment paper. Roll into a 7-inch long log. Freeze for 50 to 60 minutes, or until firm.
6. Cut log into twelve slices. Spread slices out on prepared baking sheet.
7. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until set.
8. Cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet. Loosen with metal spatula, remove from sheets and cool completely on a wire rack (or on parchment paper).
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 38 mg
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugars: 3 g
Protein: 2 g
1 Single Serving Snack
Body Beast Portions
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.