Classic beef stroganoff is a Russian dish made from sautéed beef and a sauce made from sour cream. It’s popularity spread around the globe, spawning many variations. The traditional American version also has onions and mushrooms sautéed in butter, and is served over a bed of egg noodles. It’s a hearty meal that’s especially comforting during colder months. But it’s rich, and loaded with calories. Our Skinny Beef Stroganoff has the same savory flavor, but significantly reduces the fat and calories.
To make this Skinny Beef Stroganoff a dinner you’ll want to make again and again, we started with extra lean sirloin beef, and add plenty of it. With so much hearty beef, we were able to reduce the amount of noodles and upgrade them to whole wheat egg noodles, while managing to make the dish more satisfying. To replicate the creamy sauce, we combined beef stock with reduced fat Greek yogurt. The yogurt adds the similar tang of sour cream, without the fat. A sprinkling of fresh parsley adds a welcome pop of color, fresh fragrance, and elevates the dish.
Skinny Beef Stroganoff
- 3 tsp. olive oil, divided use
- 1½ lbs. extra lean beef sirloin, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 4 cups low sodium organic beef broth
- ¾ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 oz. dry whole wheat egg noodles
- ½ cup reduced fat (2%) plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add beef; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned. Remove from skillet. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in same skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until most liquid is absorbed.
- Add remaining 1 tsp. oil; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
- Add flour; cook, stirring frequently, until onion mixture is evenly coated.
- Add broth slowly, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add egg noodles. Mix well and cover with liquid; cover. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until noodles are soft. Remove from heat.
- Add yogurt; mix well.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 78 mg
Sodium: 459 mg
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugars: 3 g
Protein: 33 g
Body Beast Portions
Portion Fix Containers
Not familiar with Portion Fix? Find out how Portion Fix can make losing weight simple.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a nutrition question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.